Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login
Athena Corset v4 by Celyddon Athena Corset v4 by Celyddon
So this is version 4 of this corset.  Instead of simply re-making the one I had, I'm choosing to make the Saint Seiya Online version of the corset.  I'll still have the purple wig (Saint Seiya Online has Athena as a brunette), mostly because I don't want to purchase a whole new wig at the moment.

Note: version 3 of the corset, which you can see in my gallery, was made from paper mache.  While it was a good job, the corset flexed while in storage and cracked, losing its structure.  I tried repairing it, but the cracks got worse when I tried to reshape it.

I did a livestream today on the making of this corset.  More or less, here is what I did:

I took the original pattern piece, which I have kept as I do all my pattern pieces, and traced out three backs and three fronts onto a large sheet of 0.020" styrene.  I cut them out with my "beater" scissors (aka scissors I don't care about), leaving some excess on the ends to account for the bending of the surface.  I then traced a single front and back onto some 1/2" EVA foam and cut it out with a scroll saw.

First, I heat-shaped the EVA foam over my duct tape dressform; I made sure to pay special attention to the ends, which I over-bent into a C shape so that they'd lie more flush against my body.  (Otherwise, due to physics, they naturally flare outward.)  Once that was done to the front and back pieces, I took one of the front pieces of styrene and carved out the ornamental silhouette.  That piece I set aside.

I took one of the back pieces of styrene and hot glued it to the inside of the back piece of EVA foam.  In other words, the underside that would be touching my back.  The top piece of styrene I didn't attach yet, which I'll explain momentarily.  I used high temp hot glue, because it fuses the foam and styrene together so that it's very difficult to remove.  I did the same to the front piece--glued styrene to the underside--then completed the front sandwich by gluing another styrene blank to the top portion.  Lastly, I hot glued the ornamental top layer onto the front piece.  I had to tack down the curves that jut out into the center of the front piece since they kept popping up.

Finally, I took some scrap pieces of styrene and carefully cut out the filigree pieces (next to the gems) with manicure scissors, since they have a natural curve (and are small enough to get in the nooks and crannies).  I hot glued those down as well.  The gems are temporarily tacked down with double-stick tape; the clear ones will be replaced with small wooden disks with more filigree parts on them.

The reason I haven't attached the upper layer of styrene on the back EVA foam piece is because I'm going to install cams into the sides right at the seam.  Cams--you've probably seen them before if you've ever assembled Walmart or IKEA furniture; they're little round metal cylinders that accept a special screw head.  You then take a screwdriver and rotate the cam 180 degrees, and it locks the screw head in place so that the two halves connected by them can't move.  I'll be putting cams in the back half and the screws in the ends of the front half.  Hopefully it will work as well in real life as it does in my head; I don't know of anyone in the world that has ever used this method for armor attachment, so I don't have any reference material.

I'll be using these same methods to do the bracelets (I've completed one, the other will be done tomorrow) and the staff headpiece.  I'll probably add an overlayer of styrene to my existing hairpiece (which is too thin to be made from EVA foam).  If I do gauntlets, like the artbook version, they'll be made from styrene and craft foam (again, too thin for EVA foam).
:iconhareyunanami:
HareyuNanami Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2014  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Do you have a pattern for this corset?! 
I am currently working on mine and I can't seems to get the pattern in the corset right and your's looks fantastic!!
Reply
:iconcelyddon:
Celyddon Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2014  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I do--it's in one of my moving boxes, though; I'm going to try and finish unpacking this weekend, and I will scan it once I find it and PM you.  Thank you very much for the compliment.  :)
Reply
Add a Comment:
 
×



Details

Submitted on
July 12, 2014
Image Size
1.5 MB
Resolution
3264×1840
Link
Thumb
Embed

Stats

Views
378
Favourites
0
Comments
2
Downloads
1

Camera Data

Make
FUJIFILM
Model
FinePix F505EXR
Shutter Speed
1/8 second
Aperture
F/3.5
Focal Length
4 mm
ISO Speed
800
Date Taken
Jul 12, 2014, 7:06:40 PM
Software
Digital Camera FinePix F505EXR Ver1.13
Sensor Size
6mm
×